Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Shin Ou - Amazing Taiwanese food!

My brother, Pat, had been telling me about this "amazing Chinese restaurant in Otake" for a while now. I finally got to check it out with him for dinner a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that he was absolutely right. It is amazing!

While they don't have an english menu and they don't really speak english, they do have pictures on the menu. This is one of those places where you will have to be a little adventurous. Just a little. It is well worth a little adventure though.



I left the ordering up to my brother and I was not disappointed at all with what we got. He ordered some peking duck, a delicious chicken dish (I can't remember the name of this dish....yikes), lettuce fried rice (my request), and some sholompo (juicy pork dumplings).

The first thing they brought out was the peking duck -
I have to say that I am not a huge duck fan, but this was pretty delicious.

Just in case anyone wanted to see it from a different angle....
Doesn't that look delicious????

The next dish they brought out was the chicken dish. It's fried chicken with onions and red pepper flakes on it, and it had a tangy sauce all over it -
It was a little spicy and a lot yummy.

Then came the lettuce fried rice -
I've never had lettuce in my fried rice, but I really liked it! I also have to say that they are pretty generous with the servings. Definitely enough fried rice for a few people to share.

Finally. The moment I had been waiting for..... they brought the sholompo to our table -
Wow! These were delicious! According to my brother, the best way to eat them is to pour some soy sauce into your little plate and add just a few drops of the clear sauce (I think it's a little vinegar and something else...). Gently grab one sholompo with your chopsticks and place it in the sauce. Let it sit there for a couple of minutes to allow it to cool down (it will be VERY hot when they bring it to you), and then put the whole thing in your mouth. I could have just eaten these all night long. Pat was right. It was the best way to eat them.

This restaurant also offers some great lunch sets. The sets start at 780yen, but they also offer a "Higawari" lunch special that changes every day for 600yen. The higawari special also included coffee. Not a bad deal at all.

They are open from 1100-1430 for lunch and then from 1700-2400 for dinner. They also offer take out on most of the items on their menu.

To get to this amazing Taiwanese restaurant -
Go out main gate and turn right at the very first light. Follow that road all the way to Route 2. Turn right onto Route 2. You're going to stay on Route 2 for a little while. You're going to cross a bridge and then you should see a Yellow Hat car accessory store on your right. I believe it's either the light right after Yellow Hat or the second light after... you'll see a yakiniku restaurant on the right corner. At this light, you will want to turn left. As soon as you turn left, you will see the Taiwanese restaurant on your right. You can't miss it. It has red lanterns hanging in the front. The restaurant is located in Otake if that helps at all.

I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for the amount of food you get. I love to order a few different dishes and share everything with whoever I'm dining with. When I went with my brother, our bill was about 3600yen and he had also had a couple of beers. Not bad at all.

Check out Shin Ou and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment